North Queensland Adolescent Forensic Mental Health Services
The North Queensland Adolescent Forensic Mental Health Service (NQAFMHS) is a specialist service providing mental health and alcohol and other drug services to young people between 10 to 18 years of age who are involved with the youth justice system. The service aims to provide culturally sensitive clinical and practical support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people.
- NQAFMHS – provides comprehensive mental health and substance use assessments and treatment to young people accommodated at the Cleveland Youth Detention Centre
- The Adolescent Court Liaison Service provides specialist mental health assessment, screening and diversion to young adults who are before the court, in custody or in the watch-house
- Supervised Community Accommodation Service provides specialist mental health assessment and management of young people who are accommodated in short and medium-term community accommodation and are supported by youth justice
- Consultation and Liaison Service – provides consultation and advice on forensic mental health issues in young people who are involved with mental health teams across North Queensland. This also involves specialised forensic assessments on threat, violence and sexual offending
- Referrals for NQAFMHS are accepted from consumers and their families, Youth Justice, Child Safety, and other Child and Youth Mental Health teams.
- Referrals for the Court Liaison Service, Supported Community Accommodation Service and Consultation and Liaison Service must be made internally.
Kirwan Health Campus
138 Thuringowa Drive
Kirwan Qld 4817
PO Box 1596
Ph: (07) 4433 9004
Fax: + 61 7 4433 9001
24/7 Crisis assistance and support
Mental Health Intake and Referral:
Ph: 1300MH CALL (1300 64 2255)
24/7 Alcohol and Drug Information Service:
Ph: 1800 177 833
In a life-threatening emergency:
Telephone triple zero (000) or 112 from mobiles