Townsville Hospital and Health Service (HHS) delivers evidenced-based, best-practice clinical podiatry services for people with an acute or high-risk foot status. For people with qualifying criteria, services we offer (but are not limited to) are:
- Foot wound debridement and dressings
- Charcot Neuroarthropathy management
- Pre and Post-ulcerative callous debridement and management
- Diabetic foot assessment and education
- Referral assistance for medical grade and/or custom-made footwear
- Management of ingrown and deformed toe nails
Our team of podiatrists aim to:
- Reduce hospital admissions and lengths of stay associated with foot and lower-limb disease
- Reduce the number of non-traumatic lower limb amputation
- Support and promote good foot-health practices
Acute – people with:
- Current foot ulcer +/- infection
- Acute Charcot Neuroarthropathy or unexplained painful/swollen foot; or
- Acute foot disease eg. Osteomyelitis, necrosis, acute ischemia
High risk – people with:
- Previous history of foot ulceration or amputation; or
- Two or more risk factors: peripheral neuropathy, peripheral arterial disease, significant foot deformity; or
- Infected ingrown toe nail(s) requiring surgery
At risk – people with:
- No previous history of foot ulcer or amputation, but one of the following risk factors: peripheral neuropathy, peripheral arterial disease, significant foot deformity.
Low risk – people with:
- No risk factors and no previous history of foot ulceration or amputation.
Categorisation and Eligibility
Category 1 – Acute and High Risk (seen as a priority)
Category 2 – At Risk (seen within three months of referral)
Category 3 – Low Risk (not eligible)
Townsville HHS prioritises podiatry services for people classed as having an acute or high-risk foot status. We aim to see new acute referrals within 48 hours of receipt of referral receipt and new high-risk referrals within two to four weeks of referral receipt.
At-risk people will be assessed within three months of referral and will likely be discharged to a private, primary care podiatrist.
Low-risk people are not eligible for Townsville HHS podiatry services and referrals will not be accepted.
The performing of routine nail care for patients who meet the qualifying foot risk status criteria will only be undertaken if there is a clear medical reason for doing so. Providing this type of care is always at the discretion of the treatment podiatrist.
Alternative Podiatry Services
For people who are not eligible for Townsville HHS podiatry services (eg low-risk foot status or biomechanical referrals), podiatry care may be available through private podiatry services, aged care packages, TAIHS, NWRHS and GP clinics. Please speak to us if you are not sure what options may be relevant to your situation.
Please note that all medical grade and custom-made footwear referrals are serviced by the Prosthetics and Orthotics Services team.
Outpatient podiatry services are available for any person with an acute or high-risk foot status who reside in the Townsville HHS catchment area. External referrals are accepted from all GPs, nurses, private allied health partners, and any other health care professionals.
Inpatient podiatry service can be made by your treating clinician.
Kirwan Health Campus
138 Thuringowa Drive
PO Box 670
Townsville QLD 4810
Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:00pm
Allied Health Podiatry
Allied Health reception
Ph: +61 7 4433 2370
Ph: +61 7 4433 5344
Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:00pm