Visiting Hours and Contacting Patients
There is a change to visiting hours at all Townsville HHS hospitals to provide more flexibility for those in our community wanting to support a loved one in hospital.
Two people may visit a patient, at the same time, for two hours, once per day, between 8am and 8pm. All visitors must be over the age of 16.
Visitors can always remain with a patient and are not restricted to the two-hour limit and may stay for longer if they are:
• Parents, guardians or carers for a patient under the age of 18
• Carers for a patient with a disability
• A partner or support person/s when the patient is admitted for care related to their pregnancy
• Support persons for emergency department or outpatient care appointments
• Providing end-of-life support to a patient (this can include children under the age of 16)
Pregnant women in birth suite can have two support people with them.
Children under the age of 16 are not permitted to visit our facilities at this time and people who are unwell must stay home.
Some critical care areas may have specific restrictions, including limiting visitor numbers.
Contacting patients at Townsville University Hospital
Patients at Townsville University Hospital can be contacted by phoning the switchboard on (07) 4433 1111 and asking to be connected to their ward. Each patient has a telephone by their bedside.
Family and friends are encouraged to make direct contact with patients for information.
The phone number for the bedside telephone is: (07) 4433 followed by the ward area and the bed number. Ward areas are:
- Oncology, maternity and children's ward = 70
- Medical ward area = 71
- Surgical ward areas = 72
eg. bed 37 in surgical = (07) 4433 7237