Visiting Hours and Contacting Patients
As of 6am 15 April 2021, there are no restricted Local Government Areas. You can now enter any of our residential aged care or hospital facilities if you comply with visitor requirements. Please note, some critical care areas may have extra precautions in place for the safety of our patients. Please call ahead on (07) 4433 1111 and ask to be put through to the ward if you are unsure.
Visitors, staff or volunteers at a residential aged care facility should not be anyone who:
- is unwell
- has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or asked to quarantine
- has returned from overseas in the last 14 days (excluding safe travel zone countries)
- has had contact with a person with COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- has visited a COVID-19 hotspot in the last 14 days or since the hotspot was declared (whichever is shorter)
- has been tested for COVID-19 and is waiting for the result (except for tests due to surveillance testing obligations)
- has COVID-19 symptoms of fever (37.5 degrees or more), cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, loss of smell or taste, runny nose, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting or fatigue
- from 3 May 2021, has not had the 2021 flu vaccine, if it is available to them.
You may enter a residential aged care facility if you do not fit into any of the above categories.
- wash their hands before entering and leaving the facility
- stay 1.5 metres away from others where possible
- stay in the resident’s room, outside or in a specific area (avoiding communal spaces)
- stay away when unwell
- follow requests from the facility to help keep staff and residents safe.
Contacting patients at Townsville University Hospital
Patients at Townsville University Hospital can be contacted by phoning the switchboard on (07) 4433 1111 and asking to be connected to their ward. Each patient has a telephone by their bedside.
Family and friends are encouraged to make direct contact with patients for information.
The phone number for the bedside telephone is: (07) 4433 followed by the ward area and the bed number. Ward areas are:
- Oncology, maternity and children's ward = 70
- Medical ward area = 71
- Surgical ward areas = 72
- bed 37 in surgical = (07) 4433 7237
Here at the Townsville HHS, we acknowledge the vital role families and carers play in a patient’s care and recovery which is why our facilities have visiting hours from 8am - 8pm every day.
We ask you to remember during visiting that many of our patients require rest for their recovery, so please be mindful of this when visiting. Some ward areas may also have rest times established, when the lights are dimmed and visitors are asked to keep noise to a minimum. Patients may request no visitors at times and this will be respected.
Many complex processes and procedures happen during healthcare. There may be times when you are asked to leave the area for short periods. If you are unsure about the best time for visiting, we encourage you to talk directly to staff on the ward.