Community members who are looking for assistance with addiction are encouraged to contact the Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs Service (ATODS). This can be done by individuals and/or family by self-presenting to the North Ward Health Campus Monday to Thursday at 9am and 1pm. Friday 9am only. The initial consultation will take about half an hour.
Following attendance at an intake session, clients may be offered full assessment and ongoing treatment services across the different facilities.
ATODS will also accept referrals from other services such as general practitioners, education services and other agencies. The ATODS Referral Form can be downloaded via HealthPathways and forwarded to the identified email contact. As we provide a voluntary service, we require consent from the individual when making the referral. All referrals and presentations are discussed daily at the multidisciplinary intake meeting and allocated to the appropriate team for follow up.
ATODS North Ward
Most services operate on the business hours of Monday to Friday, 8.00am - 4.30pm
The following services operate from or through North Ward:
- Intake, assessment and counselling
- Opiate treatment program
- Health promotion
- Needle-and-syringe program
Please note that ATODS at the Vincent Health Campus does not accept referrals or walk-ins
The Vincent Health Campus business hours are Monday- Friday 7:30am – 4:00pm. The following services operate from Vincent:
- Withdrawal from alcohol and other drugs: this service is an ambulatory service that provides assistance, support and interventions to individuals, families and communities for management of withdrawal from substances. Individuals wishing to access this service can self-present to Intake at North Ward campus for initial assessment.
- Induction to the opiate substitute program: this a program that individuals are commenced on when they wish to manage their opiate addiction. Individuals wishing to access this program should self-present to North Ward Health Campus for an initial assessment. The withdrawal team will need to complete an eligibility assessment with the individual to determine if they will suit the program before commencing treatment.
- Youth team: The ATODS youth service works with youth aged from 8 to 25 years in collaboration with other Townsville youth service providers. Young people with substance issues can present to North Ward intake service and complete an intake assessment. The ATODS Referral Form can be forwarded to the identified email contact.
- Diversionary and Recovery Team (DART): supports clients who have or may have judicial offences associated with their substance use. They also support individual who are directed by probation and parole services. DART provides a culturally sensitive program for clients who identify as Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander. Individuals wishing to access this service can self-present to Intake at North Ward campus for initial assessment.
Referrals: (07) 4433 9600
North Ward Campus
35-43 Gregory Street,
North Ward QLD 4810
PO Box 5224,
Townsville MC QLD 4817
Ph: (07) 4433 9600
Fax: +61 7 4433 9641
24/7 Crisis assistance and support
Mental Health Intake and Referral:
Ph: 1300MH CALL (1300 64 2255)
24/7 Alcohol and Drug Information Service:
Ph: 1800 177 833
In a life-threatening emergency:
Telephone triple zero (000) or 112 from mobiles