IMPORTANT UPDATE: From December 17, anyone visiting a public healthcare facility will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This includes public hospitals, community clinics and aged care facilities. Visitors will need to present proof of their vaccination on arrival. Do this by downloading your vaccination certificate onto the Check In Qld app, bringing your COVID vaccination card or printing a copy from your MyGov account.
This does not apply to patients or vaccinated support people. Some exemptions apply and this includes pregnant women receiving maternity care who can bring one (1) unvaccinated support person with them to our hospital and health service facilities. We encourage you to speak to your treating midwifery team for further information.
The Townsville Hospital Birth Centre is located on the Townsville University Hospital campus and offers one-to-one care to women with low-risk pregnancies in a home-like environment with minimal intervention during pregnancy and birth. This model of care is best described as family friendly, women-centred care with an holistic approach to pregnancy, birth and parenting.
We support and empower women and our model is based on mutual respect with an emphasis on safety for mother and baby. Your midwife will assist you to make informed choices and will aim to be an active participant in your care choices.
Our Philosophy of Care
The Townsville Birth Centre acknowledges:
- pregnancy and childbirth is a normal physiological and social event across the lifespan of a woman
- women are respected and treated as persons in their own right
- women are educated and empowered to embrace a strong sense of self, to trust their bodies, to plan their pregnancies and to make informed choices
- women believe birth is normal and prefer to avoid unnecessary interventions
respect, trust and open communication is promoted and results in the best possible healthcare available to all women
- the midwives embrace the philosophies of the midwifery profession
- midwives facilitate active, natural birth with minimal intervention through the provision of physical, emotional and social support.
We recommend you contact us as early into your pregnancy as possible as the midwives' caseloads fill quickly. For more information please phone (07) 4433 2779 and leave your details on the Birth Centre answering machine.