The Townsville Hospital Birth Centre is located on the Townsville University Hospital campus and offers one-to-one care to women with low-risk pregnancies in a home-like environment with minimal intervention during pregnancy and birth. This model of care is best described as family friendly, women-centred care with an holistic approach to pregnancy, birth and parenting.
We support and empower women and our model is based on mutual respect with an emphasis on safety for mother and baby. Your midwife will assist you to make informed choices and will aim to be an active participant in your care choices.
Our Philosophy of Care
The Townsville Birth Centre acknowledges:
- pregnancy and childbirth is a normal physiological and social event across the lifespan of a woman
- women are respected and treated as persons in their own right
- women are educated and empowered to embrace a strong sense of self, to trust their bodies, to plan their pregnancies and to make informed choices
- women believe birth is normal and prefer to avoid unnecessary interventions
respect, trust and open communication is promoted and results in the best possible healthcare available to all women
- the midwives embrace the philosophies of the midwifery profession
- midwives facilitate active, natural birth with minimal intervention through the provision of physical, emotional and social support.
We recommend you contact us as early into your pregnancy as possible as the midwives' caseloads fill quickly. For more information please phone +61 7 4433 2779 and leave your details on the Birth Centre answering machine.