Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Wellbeing Assessment and Engagement Service (ATSIWAES)
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Wellbeing Assessment and Engagement Service (ATSIWAES) streamlines the way culturally appropriate mental health services are delivered to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander consumers. The ATSIWAES program consists of two teams, the Cultural Assessment and Liason Team and the Social Emotional Mental Wellbeing Team.
The team brings together Townsville HHS Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health workers in a single team to provide cultural support and guidance to clinical staff, establish and maintain networks with community organisations and provide culturally appropriate mental health, social and emotional wellbeing promotion and prevention programs to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
ATSIWAES is committed to:
- Improving cultural capability by embedding cultural perspectives into clinical practice
- Enhancing cultural knowledge and understanding for non-indigenous clinicians
- Enhancing community engagement capacity
- Strengthening Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leadership in planning, delivering and governance of services being provided
- Establishing a strong service partnership with the Townsville Aboriginal and Islander Health Service (TAIHS) to increase access to clinical mental health services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
Cultural Assessment and Liaison Team (CALT)
CALT comprises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workers who are based within specific Townsville HHS mental health programs and teams and who also have the capacity to move across other programs and teams as required. The team provides appropriate cultural support and interventions for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander consumers across the age spectrum who have been referred to mental health clinical teams.
Referral is internal via the relevant treating team.
Social Emotional Mental Wellbeing Team (SEMWT)
The SEMWT works closely with the Townsville Aboriginal and Islanders Health Service (TAIHS) to help people receive care that considers their cultural, social, emotional, physical and mental health needs in a culturally safe way.
The service was specifically established for those people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage who, for cultural reasons, either:
- Decline to engage with the community care teams (CCTs) or other current community-based mental health services, or
- Request to engage with a community care mental health service located at TAIHS.
The service is available to consumers aged 18 -65. Referral is internal via the TAIHS GP
24/7 Crisis assistance and support
Mental Health Intake and Referral:
Ph: 1300MH CALL (1300 64 2255)
24/7 Alcohol and Drug Information Service:
Ph: 1800 177 833
In a life-threatening emergency:
Telephone triple zero (000) or 112 from mobiles