Acute Care Team (ACT)
The Acute Care Team is the first point of contact for public mental health services. The team provides a 24/7 service that triages consumers and organises either inpatient, community or crisis intervention care based on their individual needs.
The specialist team consists of consultant psychiatrists, psychiatric registrars, psychiatric nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, psychologists, and Indigenous mental health workers.
- 24-hour, seven days per week support and referral to the most appropriate mental health care service
- Centralised and coordinated mental health consumer triage
- Timely, comprehensive assessment and clinical interventions to assess acute mental health illness
- New consumers or consumers re-entering the service phone 1300 MH CALL (1300 64 2255)
- Existing consumers phone 4433 9480
- During business hours consumers may present in person to the ACT office at 59 Cambridge Street, Vincent (8am - 4.30pm)
- After-hours consumers may present to the Townsville University Hospital Emergency Department
- Consumers outside of Townsville can present to their local hospital Emergency Department
- General practitioners and external agencies may make referrals directly by calling the ACT on 1300 MH CALL.
24/7 Crisis assistance and support
Mental Health Intake and Referral:
Telephone 1300MH CALL (1300 64 2255)
24/7 Alcohol and Drug Information Service:
Telephone 1800 177 833.
In a life-threatening emergency:
Telephone triple zero (000) or 112 from mobiles
PO Box 670
Townsville QLD 4810