The Queensland Needle-and-Syringe Program (QNSP) aims to reduce the incidence of blood-borne viruses and injection-related injuries and disease in Queensland by:
- providing sterile injecting equipment
- facilitating the safe disposal of used injecting equipment
- improving access and referral to drug treatment programs, health care, and other services.
Significant public health risks associated with injecting drug use include:
- transmission of blood-borne viruses (HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C) through shared injecting equipment
- injection-related injuries and disease including abscess, cellulitis, endocarditis, septicaemia and loss of limb.
As well as the significant burden placed on individuals and their families, blood-borne viruses and injection-related injuries and disease are a significant additional cost to the health care system, employers, and society.
Locations of QNSP
Our services are offered at the following locations with most services operating within the business hours of Monday- Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm:
- North Ward Health Campus, Ground floor and First Floor Reception, 35 Gregory Street, North Ward
- Kirwan Health Campus, Adult Reception, 138 Thuringowa Drive, Kirwan
- The Townsville Hospital, Pharmacy, 100 Angus Smith Drive, Douglas
- Community Health Centre, Ingham Health Service, 2-16 McIlwraith Street, Ingham
- Sexual Health Services, Joyce Palmer Hospital, Palm Island
- Emergency Department of Ayr Hospital, Ayr Health Service, 2 Chippendale Street, Ayr
- Community Mental Health Service, Charters Towers Health Service, 137-139 Gill Street, Charters Towers
24-hours a day, 7-days per week. Cost $2.00 per kit.
- The Townsville Hospital, Western Entrance, 100 Angus Smith Drive, Douglas.
- North Ward Health Campus, Ground floor entrance, 35 Gregory Street, North Ward
- Kirwan Health Campus, Western entrance, under carport attached to main campus, 138 Thuringowa Drive, Kirwan
- Ingham Health Service, Front/main reception entrance, 2-16 McIlwraith Street, Ingham
Referrals: (07) 4433 9600
North Ward Campus
35-43 Gregory Street,
North Ward QLD 4811
PO Box 5224,
Townsville MC QLD 4817
Ph: (07) 4433 9600
Fax: +61 7 4433 9641
24/7 Crisis assistance and support
Mental Health Intake and Referral:
Ph: 1300MH CALL (1300 64 2255)
24/7 Alcohol and Drug Information Service:
Ph: 1800 177 833
In a life-threatening emergency:
Telephone triple zero (000) or 112 from mobiles