Veterans’ Liaison Officer
Our veterans’ liaison officer (VLO) is a specialist clinical nurse who works to support current and ex-defence force personnel, war widows and dependents of defence personnel who are patients of the Townsville Hospital and Health Service.
This service is designed to ease the transition from hospital to home and to ensure adequate supports are in place upon discharge.
After your presentation to the hospital the VLO will visit you to undertake an initial assessment. They are a single point of contact to advocate for you and your family. They can also help patients navigate and access defence support services available outside of hospital care. The VLO will regularly monitor your progress during your hospital stay and help plan for your discharge in consultation with you and your family or carers.
If you wish to see the VLO please call 0428 717 825 or ask the hospital staff to do so on your behalf.
Your stay in hospital
The Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) and the Department of Health have an agreement with public hospitals that eligible veterans and war widows can be seen under the Repatriation Private Patient Scheme. This scheme provides hospital services for entitled beneficiaries as private patients. In addition, all DVA gold and eligible white card holders will receive a free parking voucher which is available from the revenue and central admissions desk in the main foyer.
Dedicated volunteers from organisations like the Vietnam Veteran Federation, Totally and Permanently Disabled Ex Servicepersons Association Inc and RSL Women’s Auxiliary help us support veterans and their families during their hospital stay.
If you are contacted by a volunteer organisation and wish to see the VLO also, call 0428 717 825 or ask the hospital staff to do so on your behalf.
Remembrance Day commemorations and Anzac Day dawn services are held each year in honour of past and present serving members. All inpatients and their families, hospital staff and the broader Townsville community are welcome to attend.
Townsville University Hospital also has a garden with a memorial donated by the RSL Women’s Auxiliary.
- Gold Card – entitles the holder to access health care and associated services for all conditions.
- White Card – enables holders to access health care and associated services for specific service-related conditions recognised by DVA.
- Orange Card – pharmaceuticals only for eligible British or Commonwealth or other allied veterans.
- Eligible veterans, war widows and dependants have been issued with a Repatriation Health Card.
Enquiries about Repatriation Cards or DVA Pensions should be made to the local DVA on (07) 4722 3333 or the Veterans’ Access Network (VAN) on 1800 555 254
Phone: (07) 4433 2722
Fax: (07) 4433 2790
This service is available on Monday through to Friday between 8am and 4pm.
Find more information about the VLO here
- Open Arms - Veterans and Family Counselling 24hr support - Call 1800 011 046
- Mates4Mates - Call 1300 462 837
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Townsville office - Call (07) 4722 3333
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs - Call 1800 555 254
- Townsville RSL Women’s Auxiliary - Call 0419 761 662
- Townsville Legacy - Call (07) 4772 7533
- The North Queensland Totally and Permanently Disabled Ex Servicepersons Association Townsville Branch - Call (07) 4772 6608
- Vietnam Veterans’ Federation of Australia - Call (02) 9682 1788
- Australian Flying Corps and Royal Australian Air Force Association Queensland Division - Call (07) 4773 1757