Residential Aged Care
Residential aged care facilities
Please note, residential aged care facilities are working under the latest Aged Care Direction (No. 20), effective from 11am AEST 14 January 2021. The following measures apply.
- People who have been in Victoria on or after 21 December 2020 may now visit a residential aged care facility. Employees, contractors and other persons necessary for the operation of the facility no longer need to provide a negative COVID-19 test before entry.
Visitors, staff or volunteers at a residential aged care facility should not be anyone who:
- is unwell
- has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or asked to quarantine
- has returned from overseas in the last 14 days (excluding safe travel zone countries)
- has had contact with a person with COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- has visited a COVID-19 hotspot in the last 14 days or since the hotspot was declared (whichever is shorter)
- has been tested for COVID-19 and is waiting for the result (except for tests due to surveillance testing obligations)
- has COVID-19 symptoms of fever (37.5 degrees or more), cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, loss of smell or taste, runny nose, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting or fatigue
- has been in Greater Brisbane on or after 2 January 2021, unless 14 days have passed since the person left Greater Brisbane, or they are:
- an employee, contractor, or student of the facility
- providing goods or services necessary for the facility’s operation
- providing health, medical, personal care or pharmaceutical services to a resident
- required for emergency management, police, and people carrying out a function or power of a government agency or entity
- a prospective resident or a support person of a prospective resident
- maintaining continuity of care for a resident that can’t be delivered by non-contact means – with permission of the facility’s operator
- attending for an end of life visit and have been granted an exemption.
You may enter an aged care facility if you do not fit into any of the above categories.
- wash their hands before entering and leaving the facility
- stay 1.5 metres away from others where possible
- follow requests from the facility to help keep staff and residents safe.
For full details read the Aged Care Direction (No. 20).
Learn more about the Eventide Residential Aged Care Facility and Parklands Residential Aged Care Facility, which make up part of the Townsville Hospital and Health Service.