Young Peoples Early Intervention Team (yPEIT)
The Young Peoples Early Intervention Team (yPEIT) is a clinical mental health service for young people aged 15 - 24 who live in the Townsville Hospital and Health Service catchment area. The program has a particular focus on reducing the duration and impact of psychological disturbance by enhancing early recognition and timely appropriate treatment for young people experiencing early psychosis and other emerging severe and complex non-psychotic disorders. These young people typically have been unable or have difficulty accessing primary and enhanced primary health care options. Their symptoms will likely have persisted for several weeks or months and may have caused major disruption functionally to their lives.
The aim of yPEIT is to restore the normal developmental and functional trajectory of young people who are at risk of, or have experienced, a first episode of psychosis as early as possible.
- Flexible access for age-appropriate youth assessment and treatment
- Mental health service delivery via mobile community outreach
- Flexible treatment options offered via clinic, home visits, community or at headspace
- yPEIT offers evidence-based therapeutic interventions to young people to optimise their health, mental health, interpersonal, recreational, educational and vocational outcomes
- Functional recovery groups
- Family education and support
- Provision of Youth-friendly mental health information, psycho-education, support and care.
- Ages 15 - 18 telephone the Community Child and Youth Mental Health Service 07 4433 9004
- Ages 18 - 24 telephone the Acute Care Team 1300 MH CALL (1300 64 2255).
- Telephone the intake officer at headspace on 07 4799 1799
- If you would like to discuss a possible referral call yPEIT on 07 4799 9480
Kirwan Health Campus
138 Thuringowa Drive
Kirwan Qld 4817
PO Box 1596
Ph: (07) 4433 9004
Fax: + 61 7 4433 9001
24/7 Crisis assistance and support
Mental Health Intake and Referral:
Ph: 1300MH CALL (1300 64 2255)
24/7 Alcohol and Drug Information Service:
Ph: 1800 177 833
In a life-threatening emergency:
Telephone triple zero (000) or 112 from mobiles
Queensland Health - Mental Health home page
Mental Health Act 2016
Caring for somebody with a mental illness
Find a mental health service